Do I need a visa for Australia?

If you want to visit Australia, you probably need a visa to enter the country. Unless you have an Australian passport, then you are good to go. This rule applies to tourists, accompanying children as well as business travellers.

You must obtain a visa before you visit Australia. Although it is usually a quick process, and in urgent cases, you can obtain it within an hour, it is best to allow some weeks to process your application.

How to apply for an eVisitor?

Applying for an e-visa to Australia has never been easier. Just follow these three steps and you are good to go.

  1. Apply for an electronic visa.
  2. Pay online.
  3. Check your inbox.

However, some restrictions apply, read on to check if you qualify.

Do I meet the requirements?

  • You should not have tuberculosis.
  • You should also ensure that you have comprehensive and up-to-date medical insurance. Click here to obtain a quote for travel insurance.
  • If you have been convicted of a crime and the combined maximum duration is more than 12 months, you do not qualify for an Australian visa.
  • Your passport with which you enter the country has to be valid for at least six months and should be the same as used during the application process.


Passport Requirements Australia Visa

For which type of visa should I apply?

There are different types of visas for various purposes. Therefore, you should always check before applying that you meet the requirements.

1. eVisitor

The eVisitor visa, aka tourist- or business visa, is the most sought after as it is easy and cheap. The cost of applying for this type of visa is less than £15- (at the time of writing)* and can be bought online.

Visitors can use this type of visa for:

  • business trips
  • holidays
  • volunteer work
  • training

The caveat is that it can only be obtained by passport holders of the following countries (in alphabetical order):

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Malta, Monaco, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican city.

If you are entitled to an eVisitor visa, you should choose this type because it is cheaper than the ETA, easier to obtain and has the same validity duration. It will usually be granted within five workdays of applying and sent to you by email.

Above is explained how to apply in three easy steps for this type of visa.

2. ETA Australia

With an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) the visitor can stay in Australia for a maximum of three months on each visit. To apply online, one must be outside Australia and a passport holder of one of the following countries/regions, in alphabetical order:

Brunei – Darussalam, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR PRC), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, Rep of (South), United States.

The cost of this type of visa is AUS$ 20 when applying through the government website. To complete your application you must have your passport, email address and a valid credit card at hand.

3. Urgent visa

If for whatever reason (for instance sickness, business) you will need an urgent visa, there is an option to apply for this. This will set you back £17,50 per person. Usually, an urgent visa request is processed within one hour. However, randomly these requests are subject to further screening by the authorities, which can take several days.

4. Working holiday visa

The WHVA or Working Holiday Visa Australia is for young people who like to go on a working holiday for a maximum of 12 months.

You can apply if:

  • You are between 18 – 30 years old or
  • Have Canadian and Irish citizenship and are between 18 – 35 years.
  • The main purpose of your visit is a holiday.
  • Upon arrival in Australia, you can show evidence that you have at least AUS$  5,000 at your disposal.
  • You are not travelling with children.
  • And are not planning to work for more than 6 months for the same employer.

The good news is that within the 12 months that your visa will last, it is allowed to re-enter Australia an unlimited number of times.

That is all for now guys.

Enjoy your trip and let me know how it went.

* Please note this blog is only informational, prices and regulations change, always refer back to the source when in doubt.

** Picture on top Pixabay

You might also be interested in:

3 x snowshoeing in northern Italy

3 x snowshoeing in northern Italy

Snowshoeing The winter wonderland of northern Italy is a great place to relax. On the snow-covered mountains, life doesn't get much better. But while it is 20º C on New Year's Day in the Swiss alps (source), I wonder how long I can, in good conscience, continue with...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest